Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Day 15


















Picture 1 is the "Big Tree" in the Redwood National Park. Picture 2 is me by another big tree. Picture 3 is an unusual tree I saw in the RNP (Read more on this below). Picture 4 is Lane, Hanna and Betty. Picture 5 is Rod with his new Ultra Classic. [DON'T FORGET, YOU CAN ENLARGE THE PICS BY CLICKING ON THEM]


This morning I left Eureka, CA to head up through the Redwood National Park and eventually end up in Medford, OR where Betty Case lives. Betty is the sister of my mother-in-law. Not far out of Eureka I came upon a beach so I thought I might stop and take a picture. There were two other bikers stopped there so I pulled up along side of them. They were a couple from Denmark. I am still amazed at how many Europeans and other foreigners that I have seen and met on this trip. Shortly after meeting up with them I stopped at the Redwood NP information center to find out the best route through the park. After watching a short movie on the Redwood NP, I headed out into the park and took the first suggested detour which was the Newton Drury Scenic Bypass. I can’t say that it was any better than the “Avenue of the Giants” that I saw yesterday but it was just as good and I stopped at several of the special turnouts to see some of the unusual trees that were highlighted along the way. First there was the “Big Tree.” It was only a short walk into the woods to get to it but along the way there were some mighty impressive trees as well and I couldn’t help but take my picture with some of them. There was also a really unusual tree that proved to me, at least, that trees do have gender. This was a mighty big and obviously “male” tree. I just couldn’t keep my self from saying, “Wow! Look at the size of that thing.” You can see it in picture 3 above.

After leaving the Drury Bypass, I took the next suggested bypass which was at Requa. This bypass takes you out to the ocean on a very high hill at the mouth of the Klamath River. It is supposed to have spectacular views and is a good place to view seals and also whales when the whales are in season. Today, unfortunately, all I saw was fog, so back down the mountain and on toward Crescent City where I would eventually leave the park and head toward Grant Pass and Medford, OR. I was on CA-199 which follows the Smith River. This river had some spectacular gorges and some neat rapids. Unfortunately the road was rather twisty and it was necessary for me to keep my eyes on the road so I could not get the full benefit of its beauty. I did stop and take some pictures, but this was not in the best parts.

By 4:00 I arrived at Betty’s house. Two of her sons stopped by to say hello and one of her grand daughters: Lane and his daughter Hanna and then Rod. Later that evening Rod and his girlfriend Cindy took us out to dinner at the Roadhouse restaurant. Both Lane and Rod are bikers. Rod just got a new 2007 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic. It is an impressive bike. He and Cindy will be riding it to Sturgis this year. I wish them a great trip.